Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence
The SPAN Shelter Counselor/Advocate provides trauma-informed individual and group counseling support, crisis intervention, case management, and advocacy to adult shelter residents to increase stability factors in their lives and access needed services and resources. Additionally assists in assuring counseling support & services are provided to shelter residents by competent staff, interns & volunteers; assists with crisis line support; develops and sustains community contacts and resources; promotes a shelter environment based on respect and nonviolence; supports social justice efforts that positively impact survivors and their children.
• Trauma-informed individual & group counseling, crisis intervention, case management, and advocacy to assist adult shelter residents.
• Collaboration and consultations with shelter staff, interns and volunteers to provide counseling support, appropriate case management and advocacy to shelter residents.
• Assisting with crisis line coverage to provide telephone crisis counseling, intakes & screenings into shelter, advocacy, and referrals to crisis line callers.
• Assisting Shelter Program Director with:
• Orientation & training of new shelter staff.
• Training, orientation, and supervision of counseling interns & practicum students.
• Coordination and scheduling of in-services and trainings for staff development.
• Identification & implementation of trauma-informed counseling support services for shelter residents, addressing issues specific to support groups and collaborations with community partners, & wellness providers to provide relevant services to shelter residents.
• Maintaining case files & records and preparing monthly reports and time sheets.
• Participating in weekly staff meetings, team meetings and regular supervision with Shelter Program Director.
• Assuring Shelter Team of coverage, through rotating shifts, weekends and holidays.
• Providing on-call assistance one night per month, or other hours as necessary, to respond to police requests for victim advocacy.
• Building & maintaining excellent relationships with community organizations to increase resources and services for residents through collaboration & partnerships.
• Acting as a social justice community organizer with diverse groups.
• Supporting an environment based in respect, the utilization of ethical communication, and adherence to the organization’s values and non-negotiables.
• Other duties as assigned by the Shelter Program Director or Executive Director.
• Excellent interpersonal and community-building skills; Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking, training & presentation skills.
• Bilingual Spanish-speaking skills preferred/highly desired.
• BA required; Masters in Counseling Psychology, Social Work, or related field preferred; or equivalent experience.
• Counseling experience working with intimate partner abuse, social justice counseling, trauma and addictions, and providing resources to survivors.
• Experience & knowledge of social justice issues, particularly battering, violence against women & children, and of racial, class, and gender/sexual orientation issues.
Annually salary for this full-time position is $32,000 with an opportunity for an increase at the employee’s 6 month review. Excellent benefits including subsidized health insurance, reduced-rate Eco-Pass, vacation, and work in a dynamic and diverse setting. Strong Commitment to Affirmative Action: SPAN is an EEOA employer.
Resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence835 North St BoulderBoulder, CO 80304Phone: 3034498623Fax: Safehouse Progressive All
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.
Take advantage of your membership and post your jobs today!
Current NCADV Organization Members receive unlimited job and event postings, a $50 savings per post!
Job openings are hosted on NCADV's website, reaching thousands of interested people per month.
You don't have to be a member to post a job. We offer a job posting purchase option to people who aren't members. Buy your 30 day job posting today for $50!